Monda is a member of Kenya Federation of Alternative Trade (K.E.F.A.T), Confederation of Fair Trade in Africa (C.O.F.T.A) and a provisional member of the World Fair Trade Organization (W.F.T.O/I.F.A.T).
History of the Organization: It started in Ghana in 1997 as Gallery Monda designing, producing, retailing and export of high end art both locally and to the U.S.A, Germany, Holland, the U.K, etc. The company has attended several local and international Trade shows. In 2005, Monda African Art was established in Nairobi, Kenya as a limited liability company. The company has participated in various trade shows and workshops including:
- 1997 – 2005 Various exhibitions and trade shows in Accra, Ghana.
- 1999- CHIBI + CART/CBI trade show, Milan, Italy.
- 2000, 2002, 2004- Pias Towers & Daiho Gallery, Osaka, Japan.
- 2000- Africa Centrum, Maastricht, the Netherlands.
- 2003- UNION Locks Ltd, Japan
- 2004- Alliance Franchise, Accra, Ghana.
- 2006- SOURCES, L.A. Gift Show, USA.
- 2006- Various exhibitions and trade shows in Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2008- Birmingham Spring Fair, U.K.
- 2009- Import Shop Berlin & Ambiente Trade Fair, Germany.
The company is managed by a competent and experienced partnership of talented and creative people.
Mission: To create, develop and produce high-end top quality commercial crafts that are highly competitive both in the local and international markets; using sustainable and environmentally-friendly materials.
Vision: To be the foremost creators and producers of high-end crafts in Kenya. To have the most exclusive, customized and mass market products.
Core Values: Fair prices and good work environment for artisans and workers. Customer satisfaction. The use of recycled and environmentally-friendly materials. Top quality products.
Our Current Social Objectives
- The creation of sustainable jobs especially for women from marginalized and disadvantaged groups; by paying fair wages and a decent work environment for artisans and workers.
- To provide customer satisfaction by always giving top quality, fair priced home decorative articles and jewelry.
- Respecting the environment by using recycled and environmentally-friendly materials for product and packaging.
Our Current Commercial Objectives: To make profit, deliver customer satisfaction, maintain a competitive business by fulfilling our vision of creating, developing and producing high-end top quality commercial crafts that are uniquely competitive both in the local and international markets; using recycled and environmentally-friendly materials.
- 2009- Monda was recently awarded a grant for manufacturing equipment for the production processes from the J. Schultz foundation. It is an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life on earth through support of social micro-enterprise, global understanding, and disabled mobility solutions. They support small-scale entrepreneurial projects in developing nations that are ecologically sustainable and provide economic diversification for local communities. Monda is an initiative which provides charitable services and enhanced employment opportunities for local populations through training of low income women from Kawangware. Thus, we subscribe to the general principles of social and environmental payback.
- 2007-2009- Monda won a National Handicraft Award- “Mainstreaming of African Handicrafts to the U.K.”; awarded by TraidCraft, Kenya/ U.K. As winners, the company was linked with a U.K Import partner, received capacity building in Product design, financial advice and attendance to Birmingham Trade show in the U.K in 2008. We also received branding counseling for our jewelry range, Monda.
- 2007- Carol Monda received the award for the best Training of Export Trainers & Consultants Programme co-sponsored by the Board of External Trade (Tanzania), Export Promotion Council (Kenya), Uganda Export Promotion Board and the Centre for the Promotion of Imports from Developing Countries in The Netherlands (CBI). She was part of a team that won 1st Prize in the Export Marketing Plan Competition. And 1st Prize in the Training Competition won by a team that created and presented a training module on E-Commerce in Export.
Monda Producer Groups include:
- Monda Beaders- Kawangware Female head of households.
- Excel Project- Rehabilitated Kibera youth.
- Bemos Workshop- Disadvantaged Kibera youth.
- Jacaranda Workshops- Handicapped group.
- Zakale Workshops- Mathare Youth.
Corporate Social Responsibility (C.S.R):
At the moment, the company pays Exams fees for:
- 6 – Standard 8 students of Lirhembe Primary School, Kakamega.
- 6 – Secondary girls at Lirhembe Girls High School, Kakamega.
Monda African Art Ltd.
P.O Box 34959, 00100 G.P.O. Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254-723-140105, 020-771 250535
Email: info@MondaAfrica.co.ke, CarolMonda@Yahoo.com